Join a course that develops your watercolor skills and teaches you new techniques and styles.
Whether you are a beginner or have intermediate or advanced skills, this course is designed for all watercolorists to learn to simplify an image into exciting abstract shapes and colors, work on improving composition, and practice glazing to get depth and mystery. Students will receive instructions and a demo at the start of each session, and will then work on the following:
- Week 1 - Contour drawing/painting (figures, flowers)
- Week 2 - Underpainting with gesso texture
- Week 3 - Monoprinting
- Week 4 - Develop artwork negatively
- Week 5 - Abstracted landscape/figures with water pigment effects.
- Week 6 - Underpainting with handmade paper texture
- Week 7 - Compose using organic & geometric shapes
- Week 8 - Work on unfinished pieces & start a new one if time permits.
Students will also work on exercises to free up their creative space and techniques, through the following -
- Working on a black/white copy of the image to understand the shapes with charcoal, Indian ink, or cut out shapes.
- Doodling with water and pigments to get interesting positive & negative shapes.
- A fee of AED 300-500 will be applicable to receive:
- Sketching paper, watercolor paper (A3 - 300 gsm), board (wood/plexiglass), palette with large wells, 2B pencil, soft putty rubber, Indian ink, Willow charcoal sticks, thick graphite stick, cotton rag, tissues, sponge, and 2 jars.
Nos. 7 & 10 round brush, 1/2 inch flat brush, No.2 rigger sable
- Paints (preferably tubes):
Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red, French Ultramarine, Cobalt Blue, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Paynes Grey, Sap Green
All sessions are valid for 90 days upon booking
13 and older
- Attendance certificate can be provided upon request.
- All prices listed are for non-members of DIAC. DIAC membership can be bought at the center for a fee of AED 367.5 (inc. VAT) per year.
Villa #27 - 75B Street