Are you aspiring to be the next Andrew Lloyd Webber, Orson Welles or Elia Kazan? While directing a theater play might seem as simple as getting together a group of actors and handing them a script to memorize, a considerable amount of creativity and vision go into adapting a story for the stage and bringing it to life.
Not only do directors select the script, but they also cast actors, design sets, work with props, determine how to use light and sound, and much more. In just 16 sessions, going for 1.5 hours each, you will learn the essentials of directing, from pre-production to post-production.
Who's the instructor? Sabiha Majgaonkar, who's been actively involved in the in theatre since 2005 as an actor and director. Sabiha is passionate about all things theatre and has over 40 productions under her name in various capacities. She won the Best Actor runner-up in 48-hour theatrical festival in 2016. Sabiha also won the Junction Award for Best Director in 2017 and 2018 for her production of 'Agnes'.
What's more? Two additional sessions will be given on mutually agreed dates for more comprehensive training. At the end of the workshop, students will have a chance to direct short plays, which they will showcase to an audience.
- Script selection: Knowing your genres, importance of content, and presentation challenges
- Audition process: How to conduct auditions for plays
- Casting: How to choose the right actors for various characters
- Characterization: Working with actors to build and develop characters
- Blocking & movement: Staging actors as per the scene and navigating movement
- Set design & props usage: How to design a set as per the script's requirements and work with props
- Light & sound usage: Determining the effects of light and sound on a play and how to choose the right elements
- Production value: Learning what makes a good production and things to remember while directing, such as audience perspectives
All materials will be provided
48 hours prior to course start with full refund
18 and older
Malhaar Centre for Performing Arts
Jumeirah Lakes Towers - JLT