Most first-time mothers assume that breastfeeding is something that will come naturally and easily. For some. it does, but many mothers really struggle in the beginning and wish they had more preparation and support both before and after their baby arrived.
Although breastfeeding is natural, it doesn't always come easily and is definitely a learned art. Research has shown that many mothers wish they had received more preparation for breastfeeding and the early months of parenting prior to the birth of their baby. Research also shows that when dads attend a breastfeeding class their partners tend to have more success with breastfeeding.
This 3.5-hour, online workshop seeks to offer support, advice, and practical help before your baby is born, so those early days after your baby’s birth are easier. The workshop is taught by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant/Registered Lactation Consultant and will provide expecting parents with the knowledge and confidence to successfully breastfeed. If you are planning to breastfeed or still just thinking about your options, this workshop will answer any questions you have, prepare you to get breastfeeding off to a good start, give you the information you need to avoid many of the common problems and provide you the tools to get the appropriate help if and when you need it.
The class is interactive and includes lots of visual aids, videos, discussions, and hands-on practice with dolls. You will receive extensive emailed hand-outs and digital resources to deepen your learning and to keep on hand for refreshing your memory once the baby arrives.
What you will learn:
- Getting off to a good start
- The importance of skin-to-skin contact in the first hours and beyond.
- How to hold your baby and attach the baby to the breast
- How milk supply works
- What is ‘normal’ for a breastfed baby?
- Role of partners in breastfeeding
- Adjusting to life with baby
- Common concerns and problem-solving
- Going back to work or school, including pumps and equipment
- When to seek help and where you can find it
* Have a doll or stuffed animal to practice with, ideally something for both mom and dad to use
* Students will receive emailed handouts and many follow-up digital resources, articles & videos from the class
48 hours prior to course start with full refund
18 and older
* Upon booking the class, the instructor will contact you to provide a link to the online portal, where the class will be conducted
* Certificate of completion can be provided upon request
* The class price is for 1 family and dads, aunts, nannies or grandmothers can join for free
* This class includes breaks, depending on the expressed needs of the group