Explore how to play the djembe or darbuka, popular drums originating from West Africa and the Middle East!
The djembe is one of the most versatile and influential percussion instruments that exist. Its huge popularity is due to the wide range of pitches it produces namely the bass (low), tone (medium) and slap (high). Typically accompanied by singing and dancing, you'll never forget your experience with this iconic instrument!
The darbuka is smaller than the djembe, and typically played under the arm. It produces attacking tones that are associated with aggressivity. It has a rim that is exposed on the top of the drum which produces sounds similar to rimshots on a snare drum.
In this 1-hour, online, private lesson, your kids will learn how to play the djembe or darbuka. Beginners will learn the basics and how to practice their skills. Intermediate to advanced learners will be introduced to advanced skills, improvise their musical compositions and refine their existing skills.
Choose between 1, 5 and 10 sessions. These lessons can be customized according to their goals and rebooked as many times as required.
- How to hold and place the instrument
- List of hand positions
- Different styles and patterns
- How to accompany on songs and for live shows
- How to perform a solo piece
- How to play djembe or darbuka with other music genres
- Students must purchase their own instrument and the instructor will offer advice on where to purchase it after booking
All sessions are valid for 90 days upon booking
7 - 17 years old
- After completion of a minimum of 10 sessions, a participation certificate will be awarded
via video calling app