Go beyond the retail bargains and tourist offerings! Practice your street photography and learn techniques for different lighting conditions, all while taking in the history of The Creek from your guide and surroundings.
This 3-hour Photo Walk will give you the opportunity to learn how to take successful street photographs that work with the available light, regardless of your camera or mobile phone. But there’s more to a successful photograph than a correct exposure, as your instructor will demonstrate!
In addition to the focus on photography, you’ll experience a route that is laced with this community's culture and history, and learn how it has changed throughout the decades in a journey that symbolizes Dubai's transformation itself.
What you will learn:
- How to overcome technical obstacles when working in unfavorable lighting conditions, regardless of the camera or mobile phone in use
- What to seek out when composing images that go beyond a ‘snapshot’
- How to navigate asking ‘strangers’ to pose for a photograph, and how to take portraits that do justice to the subject
- The history of the Bur Dubai and Deira areas, from the establishment of the creek as a key trade and settlement location until today
This workshop is suitable for all experience levels. Those who have taken the Photography Level 1 or Photography Level 2 workshops prior to attending will benefit most fully from this workshop, as you will be better equipped to inject your storytelling with creative photography techniques.
- Due to traffic and very limited parking, it is strongly recommended that you do not drive to the meeting point yourself and take the metro instead. The Photo Walk starts promptly on time and it is highly to reach the meeting point 15 minutes early. Once the walk begins, the group will not be reachable by phone and will not be able to coordinate with latecomers.
- Please pack light and bring all of your belongings and gear in one small camera bag. Large camera bags and lots of gear will be inconvenient as you are constantly moving. You’ll learn how to take long exposures using the legs you already have, so leave your tripod at home!
- Please note that photo walks are done on foot, so expect lots of walking.
About the Instructor
Kathleen's interest in photography started in high school when she picked up a hand-painted photograph of her mother as a child. The image left a huge impression on her and made her realize the importance of capturing history in photographs.
Although photography was always an interest and a hobby, Kathleen started to take it more seriously in 2013 when she took her first workshop at Gulf Photo Plus. Since then she has spent as many hours as possible shooting, learning and teaching photography in order to master the craft. She has since left her corporate job to pursue photography as a career, shooting for private clients as well as major international brands.
Participants must bring:
- A camera with a fully charged battery, either mobile phone or a DSLR
- If you’re shooting with a camera, it is recommended to bring one lens with a focal length of around 35mm or wider. If you don’t have a lens that wide, bring one that you do have; your instructor will teach you how to work with it.
- A spare battery (or battery pack charger if using phone)
48 hours prior to course start with full refund
16 and older
- You must have Whatsapp installed and working as this will be the primary way of communicating locations to the group. You will be added to a Whatsapp group shortly before the walk
- Due to traffic and very limited parking, it is strongly recommended that you do not drive to the meeting point yourself and take the metro instead. The Photo Walk starts promptly on time and it is highly recommended to reach the meeting point 15 minutes early. Once the walk begins, the group will not be reachable by phone and will not be able to coordinate with latecomers.
Meeting Point: Dubai Museum, Al Fahidi Fort