Whether you’re looking to begin a career in photography or pursuing a personal passion, this course of 4 core photography workshops will equip you to master the fundamentals of photography under the guidance of expert instructors.
Take creative and technical control of your camera, create the stylistic effects that you desire, streamline your digital workflow, and hone your editing skills.
- Photography Level 1 (1 session) - Break free of Auto mode and gain a solid understanding of the essential elements in achieving a perfect exposure. Explore the creative side of photography with a focus on the traditional rules of composition, as well as how to break them
- ISO, aperture, shutter speed & depth of field
- White balance, exposure compensation
- Compositional rules and how to develop a critical eye
- Light, color, and temperature
- Burst mode, focus tracking, focus lock
- Photography Level 2 (2 sessions) - Enhance your understanding of how to work with light and movement, through theoretical lessons and practical exercises. Get the foundation needed to delve into advanced genres of photography
- Shooting in full manual mode
- HDR (High Dynamic Range)
- Panning, light painting, metering
- Flash, histograms, long exposures
- Advanced composition techniques
- Introduction to Adobe Lightroom (2 sessions) - take charge of Lightroom’s catalog system, simplify your editing process, and create order in your photo library
- Using Lightroom’s sophisticated cataloging functionality to simplify your photo library
- Navigating the Lightroom interface through importing, organizing, developing, and exporting
- Creating collections, applying keywords & metadata
- Correcting white balance, color, histograms
- Adjustment brushes, spot healing, and cloning
- Introduction to Adobe Photoshop (2 sessions) - Comfortably navigate Photoshop’s interface, menus, tools, and palettes. Get hands-on experience with making fine and major edits, and take your images from satisfactory to spectacular.
- Navigating the interface: menus, workspaces, toolbars, palettes, panels
- Image resolution, sizing, and saving: CMYK, RGB, greyscale
- Destructive vs. constructive editing: blending modes, eraser, layers & masking
- Adjustment layers: levels, curves, color balance, hue & saturation, contrast, liquify
About the Instructors:
Laura Huntly leaped into photography in 2009, diving into books and research that propelled her self-taught skills with the camera. She has assisted the legendary Joe McNally, who inspired her to take photography on as a career which she has been doing since 2010. Shooting families and kids are her forte, but she is savvy in all varieties of the trade. Laura brings her photographic passion to teach students and inspire them to pursue their journey in photography.
Kathleen Hoare's interest in photography started in high school when she picked up a hand-painted photograph of her mother as a child. The image left a huge impression on her and made her realize the importance of capturing history in photographs. Kathleen has spent many hours shooting, learning, and teaching photography in order to master the craft. She left her corporate job to pursue photography as a career, shooting for private clients as well as major international brands.
Wilbur Smith is a still life, conceptual portraiture photographer, and videographer. He is a self-taught creative who took on film and photography as a hobby, which very quickly grew into his passion. Wilbur's work has been published in Citizen K and WatchTime Middle East, and his clients include Harvey Nichols, Dubai Jazz Festival, Bloomingdales, Ritz Carlton, Nike, Al Tayer, DPG, Beats By Dre, Jumeirah, Damas, Dubai Tourism, BMW, Rolls Royce, & much more.
- Students will require the following:
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with fully-charged battery
- Empty memory card for your camera
- Tripod (optional)
- Laptop with a fully charged battery
- Lightroom Classic CC (pre-downloaded & fully functioning)
- Photoshop CC (pre-downloaded & fully functioning)
- Laptop charger
- Laptop mouse (optional)
- Notebook & pen
48 hours prior to course start with full refund
16 and older