There's a reason why even the Beatles' guitarist George Harrison sought inspiration from Indian classical music: the folksy melodies are distinctive, enchanting, and rich with emotional value.
Whether students want to pick up a new instrument to expand their musical repertoire or are simply curious about Indian classical music, this group class will equip them with the skills needed to create entrancing tunes of their own.
Each session is online, lasts 1 hour and this is a mixed instruments class with small group size (maximum of 4 students) depending on the preferred timings. Students can choose their preferred instrument and they will learn to play and practice alongside students playing other instruments. The instructor will give individual attention to each and teach him/her how to play it.
Students can choose to learn one of the following:
- Tabla: If you're looking to master a highly versatile percussion instrument that can be played solo or in accompaniment with another musical instrument, the tabla is a great choice. Its key musical elements include skillfully composed rhythmic patterns, intriguing compositions, and complex beat structures.
- Mridangam: One of the oldest Indian percussive instruments, the mridangam is heavily featured in Carnatic music from the south and classical music from the north. Students will gain a thorough understanding of the proper techniques of playing mridangam, including the correct sitting posture, holding the instrument, use of wrist action, developing muscle memory, significance of balance and coordination, sound sensitivity, appropriate hand and finger movements, and more. The class will contain drum syllables set to "adi talam," which is an 8-beat cycle of a steady rhythmic structure.
- Veena: A plucked string instrument used mostly in Carnatic classical music from the south, the veena is one of the oldest Indian stringed instruments and a member of the lute family. Students will learn everything from the proper position for holding the instrument to adeptly moving their hands and fingers to intricate musical techniques.
* Students need to have their own instruments during the class. Purchase recommendations will be provided by the instructor if requested.
All sessions are valid for 90 days upon booking
5 and older
* A certificate will be provided upon completion
* Upon booking this course, you will be contacted by the instructor who will send you the link to the online platform where the class will be conducted.