For all aspiring fashion designers, here's a two-in-one course to get you started!
In this private course, you will be introduced to the world of fashion design and learn two basic skills every upcoming fashion designer should possess - fashion sketching and how to operate a sewing machine!
This class is designed for all levels so even if you've never touched a sewing machine or haven't been applying your machine sewing skills for a very long while this class is perfect to learn from scratch or get a refresher on your techniques. You'll learn how to successfully thread a machine and all the way to building your skills through a whole variety of sewing projects. By the end of the course, you will have made your first steps into dressmaking and completed a few pieces of your own!
For fashion sketching, you will learn how to create a fashion croquis: a rough outline of a model to showcase the elements of your design. You'll first be taught how to draw your croquis in anatomical proportions and varying poses, and then progress to drawing and coloring clothes and accessories for your sketch model. Your instructor and professional fashion designer, Bouchra, will teach you tips on design elements and perspective, color combinations, and the latest fashion trends.
Key Learnings per Topic:
Sewing Machine 101
- How to control your straight/curved line sewing, and how to make a buttonhole and stitch a button
- How to sew different types of belts and zippers (for skirts or pants)
- How to sew different types of pockets
- How to sew pleats, gathers and godets
- How to use a serger machine
Fashion Sketching 101
- Fundamental techniques of drawing (theoretical session)
- How to draw different types of collars and sleeves
- How to draw different types of skirts and pants
- How to draw different types of waistlines and tops
- How to draw full sketches using the above techniques and garments
About the Instructor: Bouchra Lakehal is a fashion designer for ready-made garments, abaya, and contemporary Moroccan Caftan. She has a technical diploma as a technician fashion designer from the Institute of Applied Technology of Readymade Garments in Morocco, which bases its courses on that of the French Higher Institute of Fashion (ESMOD).
- Students will need to bring paper, pencil, eraser, sharpener, coloring crayons, 2 meters of the fabric of your choice (should be thick cotton material), 1.5 meters of fusible interfacing, 2 zippers (one normal, one invisible, 20 cm each), 1 meter of elastic (3 cm width), 2 buttons (medium size) and a pair of scissors to complete your projects during the course
- You can bring your own sewing machine or use the instructor's Brother GS2700 Sewing Machine during the class
All sessions are valid for 60 days upon booking
16 and older
At Instructor's Home Studio:
Al Aryam Tower, Block C, Flat #2910
Al Mina Road