Pursuing a career in the lucrative graphic design field? Join this course to widen your designing skillset and become proficient at the top software programs used by professional graphic designers!
In this 60-hour course (20 sessions x 3 hours), you will learn the basic tools, functions and techniques of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. You will get the chance to practice applying graphic design principles and color theory to produce creative designs.
Classes can be taken by anyone without prior graphic design experience or those who want to brush up on their design skills. By the end of the course, you will have the needed knowledge to become well-rounded in the 3 graphic design programs which can be mastered with constant practice.
Classes are delivered in small groups but can also be given as 1-on-1 depending on the instructor and participant’s availability.
- Adobe Photoshop:
Photoshop is a pixel-based program used in photo editing, image creation and graphic design. The software uses a layered editing system that allows image creation and editing different overlays.
- Introduction to Adobe Photoshop: Bitmap vs. vector, Resolution and quality issues, Viewing/opening documents, Tool bar, Most commonly used palettes
- Rulers, guides and grids layers: Background vs. layer, creating layers, Preserving data, Re-arranging, Hiding, locking/unlocking, naming, deleting, layer opacity
- Layers Styles: Shadow effect, Glow effect, Bevel & Emboss effect, Color Overlay, Gradient Overlay, Pattern Overlay, Stroke
- Transformation: Flipping, scaling, rotating, distorting, perspective, Control options, Free transform, straighten or tilt
- Working with Text: Warp Text, Text with underline and Strikethrough, Text with mask
- Image: Image sizes (handout), Image size vs. canvas size, Cropping (and resizing), plus manual, Image modes, Basic retouching with clone, heal, patch tools
- Color adjustment: Basic tonal adjustment/enhancement, Brightness/contrast: when to use levels (+ auto), shadow/highlight
- Quality adjustment: Dust and scratches, reduce noise, Blur, Gaussian blur, Sharpen/unsharpened, and size issues
- Selections: Various tools, tool options, Inversing, feathering, grow, smooth, expand, similar, Pen tool specifics, Paths to selections, Selection with Mask
- Outputting for the Web: Optimizing for Web colors, Resizing and compressing an image for quick rendering
- Saving: Save options, file formats for InDesign, web etc., Paths to Illustrator, Keyboard shortcuts
- Project achievements: House ad/poster, Duotone photograph, Repaired photograph
- Adobe InDesign:
InDesign is a vector-based program primarily used for layouts which can handle multiple pages. This is mainly used for designing books, magazines and even e-books.
- Getting Started with InDesign: Identify Components of the InDesign Interface, Customize the InDesign Interface, Use the Navigation Controls, Set Preferences
- Designing a Document: Create a New Document, Add Text to a Document, Add Graphics to a Document
- Customizing a Document: Format Characters and Paragraphs, Apply Colors, Swatches, and Gradients, Create and Apply Styles
- Working with Page Elements: Arrange and Align Objects, Use Layers, Transform and Manipulate Objects, Thread Text Frames, Edit Text
- Building Tables: Create a New Table, Modify a Table Structure, Format a Table
- Preparing a Document for Delivery: Resolve Errors in a Document, Print a Document, Package a Document, Export Files for Printing, Export Files for the Web
- Adobe Illustrator:
Illustrator is a graphic-driven program use in creating vectors. This is mainly used for logos, graphics, cartoons and fonts.
- Introducing Illustrator CC: Apply Design Principles, Elements, and Graphics Composition, Evaluate Graphics Scalability, Navigate the User Interface, Customize the User Interface
- Creating Documents Containing Basic Shapes: Create Documents, Save Documents, Draw Basic Shapes
- Creating Documents Containing Customized Paths: Draw Paths, Modify Paths
- Creating Graphics Containing Customized Text: Insert Text, Apply Flow Text Along a Path, Insert Bounded and Threaded Text, Apply Text Styles, Insert Typographical Characters
- Customizing Objects: Import, Place, and Link Graphics, Alter the Appearance of Objects
- Customizing Basic Shapes: Apply Strokes and Brushes, Fill Shapes, Apply Graphics Styles, Distort Text with Text Envelopes
- Preparing Documents for Deployment
All materials will be provided
All sessions are valid for 6 months upon booking
18 and older
* You must be familiar with basic computer operations and operating system
* A certificate of completion accredited by MOE & ACTVET will be provided by the institute.
Al Omaira Building (Baskin Robbins Building), Suite #102
Hamdan Street opposite Al Salama Hospital